Our African friends have been cooking up some amazing meals for us…when we get served our meals, we never get as excited as when we see “CHAPATI!”
Chapati is basically the African version of a homemade tortilla. They are super simple to prepare and cheap to make, which make them a common component of the African cuisine. Here’s how you make them:
- 1 Kilo (2 pounds) flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup water
- Cooking oil
*Note that ingredients are approximate – the African women have been making Chapati since they were very young have a hard time converting the amounts to our American standards.
1. Mix the first three ingredients together in a large bowl.
2. Add water until dough is only slightly sticky.
3. Roll out dough on floured surface
4. Put two teaspoonfulls of oil on the stove; then place the dough on top
5. Cook until lightly browned; then flip chapati over